Update strategies (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: Newbie question reguarding YUM and Linux.)

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 23:25:06 EST 2006

On 11 Jan 2006 20:11:15 -0500, Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 12:56, Jason Faulkner wrote:
> > (I haven't used RH in a while, so correct me if I'm wrong)
> >
> > Doesn't RH automatically replace config files saving the old as
> > .rpmsave when they change? That to me is reason enough not to auto
> > update.
> >
> > --
> > Jason Faulkner
>
> I've *never* experienced that with Mandrake, and haven't seen or heard
> of that happening with RedHat in a long, long time. Both are RPM based.

One of the things that has long set Mandrake apart from Red Hat is how
their packages are set up.  RPMs biggest weakness, in my opinion, has
always been that it lacks standards for how packages are put together.
To remedy this, Mandrake adopted Debian naming conventions and standards
and then went and wrote major macro packages to be used to make
all their rpms consistent.  This level of detail, I believe, is why you've
never seen this problem with Mandrake.

Red Hat, from what I saw of it, and that has been a long time ago now (before
Fedora, certainly) tried to solve this problem by brute force and although
they got very good at it, it was never very elegant, imo.  I would
certainly hope
it's gotten better in the last few years.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace