[TriLUG] samba and permissions

Tux Drake linuxheels at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 08:10:19 EST 2006

  I have a samba server set up on machine running suse 9.3 and have some questions about umask. by default the umask is set @ 022 and I would like to change that to 002 because when a user creates a dir the permissions are drwxr-xr-x and i would like to make it drwxrwxr-x. The reason being is because although everyone is in the same group for this particular share the group does not have write access to a folder and subfolders that another user may create. This server is in a remote location in an OSX and windows environment and the users can't run umask before creating a directory because they are not running linux machines and I disabled remote logins for regular users. So I guess I would like to know if I can change the defualt umask in /etc/profile for all users across the board or is there a way in the smb.conf file to create a umask or default permissions for a given share the will flow down through all directories and subirectories. Sorry for the essay but I am still a little
 green when it comes to some networking issues.

  Mike Massey