[TriLUG] SCP, Chroot

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 15:14:04 EST 2006

What are some ways to restrict a ssh user to their home (or any)
directory?  What I am trying to do is set up a username that is jailed to a
specific directory so users can drop off files via SCP.   I don't want them
navigating around the fs if they were to log in with ssh. And, what about if
they tried to SCP a file to somewhere other than /home/username? I looked at
chrooting but that would just restrict them if they logged in.  I saw this
package http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/ but I was trying to do this on
my server without adding a bunch of packages or 3rd-Party stuff.

Thanks,
Mark.