[TriLUG] SCP, Chroot

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:36:55 EST 2006

On 1/16/06, Shawn Hood <shawn.hood at favoriteagent.com> wrote:
> Take a look at rssh.  I believe it is aimed at the functionality you
> are seeking.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/rssh/

That looks like it's just a specialized shell which only allows scp
and sftp. But that doesn't seem to be what the OP is looking for.  I
interpret his request as looking for a way to control either the
visibility or permissions to files differently depending on whether a
user is logged on via ssh or some other means.

Some more ideas may be found her
http://www.fuschlberger.net/programs/ssh-scp-chroot-jail/

But this is setting up new restricted users instead of restricting
existing users when they are coming in through ssh.

I don't think that THAT can be done.  SSH doesn't have any per-user
configuration as far as I can see.  There may be a way for a shell to
know if it's talking over an SSH connection, but I'm not aware of it.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/