[TriLUG] SCP, Chroot

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 10:03:25 EST 2006

I created a user called 'uploads' with all the permissions and stuff that a
normal user would have.  I changed the shell to /bin/false and tried to scp
from my laptop with no success.  I would issue the scp command and it would
ask me for a password.  However, after entering the password it would always
say 'lost connection'.  I changed the shell back to /bin/bash and it worked
normally after that.

I may try to look over the script from the website that Rick pointed out if
no one else has any ideas.

The web form idea from Cristobal was a good idea, but I am trying to do this
from a script.  My offices downtown are on OSX and they are trying to set up
scripts that will automatically send me files. So, I told them they could
just scp the files over to me.  I could probably just issue them an id and
they would add it to their script and forget about it.  However, I just
don't want an id floating around out there that someone could use and just
go browsing around the fs, looking at whatever they wanted.  (Was it the
Kinks that said, "Paranoia will destroy ya...")  I could also set up a
chroot jail with proftp but I'd really like to use scp and get this figured
out for future use.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Thanks,
Mark.