[TriLUG] SCP, Chroot

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:58:03 EST 2006

A friend of mine emailed me and made this comment:

>i dont know what happens behind the
>scenes with scp but if it logs you in
>temporarily before you copy then you
>could just do a chroot jail for people
>who tried to use the login to actually
>log in instead of just using it for scp.
>The chroot should work for scp also.

Is this correct?  Does SCP log you in temporarily before it copies and then
logs out?  If so, I guess a chroot jail would work.  If you were to try and
scp to a directory outside of your home structure it would tell you that it
didn't exist.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Mark.