[TriLUG] AMD 64 bit laptop resolution RHEL 4 u2

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:51:02 EST 2006

Hello:
I would like some advice from anyone willing to help me.  I am currently
testing a laptop and having trouble with the video resolution.  The specs:

AMD Athlon 64 Portable Workstation/Laptop
    AMD Athlon 64  3000+, 3200+, and 3400+ Processor
    17.0" TFT WSXGA+ LCD with up to 1680x1050 Resolution
    Red Hat Linux Operating System
    Internal ATA/100 Disk Drives and DVD-RW or CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    8x AGP ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 3D Accelerator with 128MB DDR SGRAM
Video Memory
    Single Gigabit Ethernet Port and Up to Two USB 2.0 Ports
    8.8 lb

When I load the OS (RHEL 4 ES update 2, AMD64 version), all goes well with
the install.  Then I load the (simulation) game that I am testing, and the
only thing that I can get for resolution is like 800 x 600 by default.
During the install it chooses 'generic lcd monitor' since as a laptop I
don't have the ability to tell it that it is a certain brand (the laptop is
a custom high end machine so it's not a name brand display).  The resolution
has to be as high as the chipset will support, considering this is high end
software it needs to be able to support.

The basic problem is that there is a software 'box' that comes up, which is
bigger than the screen (and without scroll bars).  So by having a resolution
that is too low (and therefore displayed too big) -  it doesn't allow me to
use the software features (fill in boxes, submit buttons, whatever) -
anything that is below the bottom edge of the screen is inaccessible.  The
software box cannot be moved or resized.

What I am really looking for is a pre-made rpm that will go along with the
abovementioned chipset.  Does anyone know of an rpm that might match this
machine?  Any other fixes?

I have run redhat-config-display and chosen several choices.  When I choose
some of the higher resolutions it does some funky stuff like flashing and
stuff  but I can still see enough to get logged back in.  So I go back in
and I have now tested it at acceptable resolutions that are higher, like
1680x1050.  I have yet to figure out (for sure) whether there is a problem
with the resolution by itself or whether it needs a driver.  It needs to
support 1280 x 1024 either true color or millions of colors at a minimum.

Thanks in advance,
Marc