[TriLUG] Installing FC3 on a SATA drive

Neil L. Little nllittle at vnet.net
Thu Jan 19 17:03:58 EST 2006

Being a newbie, I am having some trouble installing FC3 on a SATA drive.

This is a plain vanilla Dell Server box (Power Edge SC430) with just a
CD drive and 80GB SATA drive with an intell chipset (Intel ICH7R SATA
controller)

During the install the SATA drive does not seem to get recognized when
the device probe is going on.
At the next step when the script presents the devices it found only the
NIC card is shown.
I tell the script to add the device driver for the SATA controller
(intell PIIX/ICH ATA controllers (ATA_piix)).
The next step would be to partition an format the drive but it fails
saying that no drives can be found.

I know that the drive and controller is good as I ran hardware
diagnostics that passed.

Anyone have any Ideas?

Neil Little, WA4AZL    JARS Forever!!