[TriLUG] rfc on server

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Sun Jan 22 08:40:35 EST 2006

not to mention any names; however, one of the largest PC manufacturers
is notorious for offering a low price yet leaving out the components
necessary for the system to run properly.  for example, as soon as you
add the necessary memory or whatever the case may be, the price changes
drastically.

i'm taking a brand marketing course at nc state this semester and wanted
to bounce off the group my class project:
http://www.neuse.net/server

instead of offering the lowest price, i wanted to offer the best server
and go straight up against Dell.  does anyone have some marketing angles
that would be appropriate or technical comments on the design?  many
taxpayers are not particularly happy about the incentives granted to
Dell for their new plant when the small businesses did not get squat.
what will make them squirm the most?

i used to be one of their customers (and resellers for that matter) yet
started having a problem from a technical view point when the same
serial number for one of their PCs pulled up multiple choices for
drivers on their support web site.  they used to be #1 in my book back
in 1988 when i bought my first few systems (286 w/ a whole megabyte of
RAM).  they have slipped in my ratings.

regards,

jim

--
Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Network, Inc.

tel: 919-838-1672 x111
toll free: 800-617-7652
cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

Ask about our Clean Technologies.  Established in the Carolinas 1997.