[TriLUG] rfc on server

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Sun Jan 22 23:50:05 EST 2006

Jim,

    As a point solution this bit of info is OK, but if you want to use
this as a configuration to sell to many customers then you really should
provide more options.

    It sounds like you have built this system up to a single purpose,
not all situations are disk bound, some may be processor or memory
bound.  The same goes for other things like redundancy options.  If you
have a situation where there are fully redundant servers, say a farm of
web servers, then you don't need redundant power supplies.

    BTW, the spindle rotation may or may not be the best thing.  If you
are working with things like a web server that will read all, or most,
of the content into cache then disks aren't really the issue even though
it may seem like it would be due to lots of small files.

    In high performance systems, the disks have generally been the part
of a server that is lagging behind.  Most systems run at very low CPU
utilization, and you can get a lot of RAM in a server these days.  The
I/O subsystem lag has been one of the reasons that SAN technology has
taken off in recent years.

    For disks, consider the following

    Data Path - U320 is a 320Mb/S path, and so on
    Spindle rotation speed, 10,000 or 15,000
    Seek time, I don't recall off  hand good numbers, but you get the
idea, less is more.

    HP is moving all servers away from Parallel SCSI, (What we're used
to), and towards Serial SCSI, just like ATA vs SATA.  SCSI is much more
reliable, by a factor of 3.

    HP is also moving towards more drive bays in servers, and smaller
drives, 2.5" disks.

Good luck,

    Oh, and it's now up to about 2300 servers in on the network.  ;')
Generally I don't do servers anymore, I'm in the Vulnerability
Assessment and other security business these days.

Kevin