[TriLUG] Dual booting Windows XP and FC4

Neil L. Little nllittle at vnet.net
Wed Jan 25 00:24:28 EST 2006

Ok, noob time again...

I have installed FC4 on a system that is primarily a Windows XP machine
(for now).

WinXP (NTFS file system) is on the Master drive (hda).
FC4 is on the Slave drive (hdb).

Having installed FC4 on the slave drive So I finish the load and reboot
expecting to have grub load, direct it to the FC4 drive and go through
my first boot.

Well, it never happeded. WinXP boots and continues on like nothing has
ever changed.

I  have discovered that grub never got installed on my Master drive. I
attempted to manually install grub and recieved a message "file system
unknown" as soon as I tried to set the root device to my windows partition.

Doing some research I have discovered that there is a problem reading
NTFS... or its a feature that is turned off in the kernal...  or I have
to add support which means a kernal rebuild (gnashing teeth and pulled
hair at this point). Maybe not even being able to write to NTFS at all
(beating of the head on first available flat surface). Ok, its late at
night and its time to drop back and regroup.

So here are my questions at this point...

1. Can I get Linux to read/write to/from an NTFS drive. Meaning put grub
on it.
2. Will I be able to avoid having to to fancy presti-digi-tations to get
this Dual boot thing going like:
                   a) changing boot sequence in BIOS
                   b) adding a special FAT partition
                   c) adding a switch to change master/slave jumpers.
3. Adding a boot loader that runs from the WinXP side.

So. can anyone shed any light?

73,

Neil Little, WA4AZL      JARS Forever! ...er, TRILUG too!