[TriLUG] Dual booting Windows XP and FC4

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Jan 25 08:15:42 EST 2006

Aaron's right.  You're going to have a few roadblocks
just trying to re-run grub.  I would suggest that you:

 - Boot Knoppix.

 - Mount the two hard disks.

 - Use the "-o dev" option when you mount the Linux disk.
   This will allow you to refer to "/dev/hda" once you're in
   the chroot shell (see below).

 - Do a "chroot /mnt/hdb1" (Linux disk) to make the system
   use all of the files on YOUR FC4 install rather than the
   files on the Knoppix system.

 - Add the following to your /boot/grub/menu.lst (really just
   the last three lines, but I include both sections for reference,
   so comment one out):

   # WINDOWS

   #title         Windows 95/98/NT/2000
   #root          (hd0,0)
   #makeactive
   #chainloader   +1

   title   Microsoft Windows XP
   rootnoverify   (hd0,1)
   chainloader = (hd0,1)+1

 - Then run "grub-install hd0" or "grub-install /dev/hda"

 - If all looks well, then "exit" from your "chroot" shell
   and "reboot".

If you're still having trouble, send more email to this list,
or to me off-list.

Alan

.