[TriLUG] Installing ubuntu behind firewall/proxy

Patrick Brewer patwbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 11:33:46 EST 2006

I decided to try ubunto on a machine at work, where we are "safely" behind the corp. firewall and proxy servers.  The install seems to offer no way to authenticate through the proxies to get additional packages from the internet.

Worse than that I am finding that FireFox on ubunto will not recognize our proxy configuration either.  Firefox worked on previous RedHat install, on Knopix, so I know Linux Firefox will work through the proxies.

This is ubunto 4.1. Has anyone run into similar problems?  If I get Firefox to work, is there away to get the package manager to do http requests through the proxy?

Patrick