[TriLUG] Attn HAMmers.. question for you

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 08:53:14 EST 2006

Slashdot has run a story about SuitSat, a russian spacesuit packed with some
batteries and a transmitter that was thrown overboard from the International
Space Station.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/26jan_suitsat.htm

The article claims that anyone with a police scanner can pick this
transmission up on frequency 145.990 MHz, which my scanner will do.  The
next pass over the Raleigh area is tomorrow morning from 07:02:22 to
07:12:37.  The data transmitted back to Earth will be the environmental data
from the suit.

This doesn't leave much time to prepare.  Will a handheld scanner be able to
recieve this transmission?  They say, of course, the bigger the antenna the
better, but I don't have time to run out and get a gazillion dbi gain
antenna for my handheld.

Grrrr.  Is there any way for one of the HAM guys to somehow tune in and
broadcast over the Internet just in case?  Or call into an Asterisk server
that is patched into the frequency (cough.. Mark Turner.. cough)?

Greg