[TriLUG] Debian Ethernet Bridge Woes

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 11:38:34 EST 2006

On 1/31/06, Roy Vestal <rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:
> Hey guys. I have an old Toshiba laptop (the old "TriLUG" laptop), and
> I'm trying to build a wirless ethernet bridge from my house to the
> garage. "Why not just buy an appliance?" You ask? Those of you that know
> me know "Cause I'm cheap".
>
> Here's what I need help with. I'm trying to build it using these
> instructions:
> http://www.pantz.org/os/linux/security/debhard/ap-bridge-fw.en.html
>
> I'm trying to recompile the kernel, the "Debian way", and add bridging
> as per the above. When I boot into the new kernel, my wireless card
> doesn't work. PCMCIA seems to be, but it says "eth1 is not available".

Was it working before?

It might not be named eth1.  For example my wifi card comes up as ath0
(it's got an atheros chipset and I'm using the madwifi driver).

You might want to look at the ifrename package. ifrename allows you to
rename an interface based on various criteria such as the mac address.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/