[TriLUG] RE: Cant close port 23 on firewall

Neil L. Little nllittle at vnet.net
Wed Feb 1 23:18:34 EST 2006

Thanks to those who have responded to my noob questions about my trials
and truibulations in configuring GRUB and getting the issues with my
firewall resolved.

Their suggestions got me pointed in the right direction so I resolve my
problems (as well as save the furniture from repeated impacts from my
forehead).

73,
Neil Little, WA4AZL  JARS Forever!   and of course TRILUG!
 >> I did a port scan on a system runing FC4 and found that I had port
23 open.
<snip>
 >> I quick search on Google and a couple of forums didnt score any hits.
 >> Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You can use chkconfig --list to see what services
are set to startup at boot-time.  See if you actually
do have a telnet server set to start by accident.

Or telnet might be configured as an xinetd service,
look in /etc/xinetd.d and see if there's a 'telnet'
file there.  If there is, edit it and set

disable = YES

to disable the service.

You can also try doing

netstat -tupa | grep '23'

and see what process is bound to port 23, if one actually is.

Outside of that, if you intention is to run a firewall,
your iptables rules should have at least the WAN interface
(and ideally all interfaces) set for a default policy of
DROP, with only the specific ports set for ACCEPT that you
desire to receive traffic on.

TTYL,

Phil
-- North Carolina - First In Freedom Free America - Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org