[TriLUG] tomcat questions

Steven Blanchard sgblanch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 22:59:36 EST 2006

I am trying set up a development environment for tomcat5 on my
debian/sid laptop.  Tomcat start times and initial servlet loads are
painfully slow.  Is this a problem with my setup, or business as
usual?

Currently, tomcat is using kaffe for it's JVM.  Is there a better JVM
which I could use?  I can not use an official Sun JVM, as this is a
powerbook.

Additionally, does anyone have any tips for reloading servlets so I do
not have to restart tomcat (a 5+ minute ordeal on a 1GHz+1GB tibook).
The documentation references a /manager interface to deploy servlets,
but I do not seem have it.  I tried installing the admin interface to
see if the manager was part of it, but the admin interface throws a
javax.servlet.ServletException / java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

I seem to be a touch over my head, and any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks,
Steven Blanchard