[TriLUG] IMAP Shared Folders

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Feb 3 21:05:06 EST 2006

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

>On 2/2/06, Tarus Balog <tarus at opennms.org> wrote:
>

>>I think I tried Cyrus out a couple of years ago and could never get
>>it working. If memory serves, is that the one that doesn't
>>support .procmail?
>>

>Well, you can make it support procmail, but it's not pretty.
>Instead, it uses sieve which is specifically designed for
>mail sorting and won't let users arbitrarily open security
>holes the way procmail will.  Also, there are nice web
>interfaces to sieve that let you modify your sorting rules
>through a web browser.
>

>>I'm using dovecot now. Do you think it would be easy to migrate?
>>

>As long as you've got imap access, I can give you the scripts
>I used to migrate both my own wu-imap mail server (with several
>GB of mail) to cyrus and also migrate the old TriLUG wu-imap
>server (with even more GB of mail and many more users).

To throw another success story on the fire, I recently migrated all the
personal domains I manage (half a dozen or so, including joyner.ws) from
uw-imap to Cyrus, using the same imapsync.pl script Tanner is probably
referring to.  It's good stuff, not to hard, and orders of magnitude
faster for most all operations.  And you get the shared folders feature
as a bonus.  On a historical note, Cyrus was originally written with a
key feature in mind of being an imap gateway to newsgroups, so you can
see why shared folders, indexing necessary to deal with ridiculously
huge folders, and other related features are a natural fit.

Aaron S. Joyner