[TriLUG] sendmail & ldap > exchange howto?

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Wed Feb 8 18:21:40 EST 2006

classic dictionary attack problem with mail gateways.  i've set up a few
gateway servers that would get tens of thousands of invalid recipient
emails per day, all of which would then have to be bounced (usually to a
forged sender, creating yet another problem).

i know sod all about sendmail, but postfix has a verify function that
performs this lookup -before- closing the initial smtp session.  if the
recipient is bogus, it does a lookup first and rejects the message if
the recipient is bogus.  it's very easy to set up.