[TriLUG] Good Open-Source MySQL Portal-Maker?

Allen Freeman knieveltech at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 09:13:37 EST 2006

Personally I've had no experience with NAGIOS but with my tinkering with PHP and Perl to do DB interfacing it seems to me that you could *easily get the functionality you want using xhtml forms with some conditional PHP acting as a second tier. Tuck all your query logic and input parsing into the middle tier and decouple it from the interface and you should be good to go. I'll have to take a look at nagios when I get a second though. Sounds interesting.

 -Allen

 *for values of easily involving hours and hours of tedium.

jbrigman at nc.rr.com wrote: To all respondents:

I've been thinking about some sort of mySQL/PHP/NAGIOS setup. How much
time have you had to put into your concept of generating an inventory
web page from a mySQL inventory? In your experience, so far, is it a big
job, or have you just not been able to get to it? (story of my life,
I'll have to build mine on my own time.)

One of the things I'm most worried about is being able to build a web
form that interfaces to a mysql database, and do it in a robust and
flexible way. I want the form to do as much data checking as possible,
and I need good, basic add/edit/delete functionality along with some way
to track history of configuration changes.

This database would be the originator of configs for scanning the
network, or possibly target/repository for data generated by a scan of
the network, using something like nessus.

NagMIN has much of what I'm looking for (nagmin.sourceforge.net) but
I've not talked to anyone who's rolled it yet. And it's not clear to me
that NagMIN provides any kind of a "database portal" style of interface
- it's focused on auto-detection of systems, which is a great thing, but
not necessarily a user interface for inventory management. I'm also a
tad worried: NagMIN 2.0.1 was released back in 2003, not sure if that's
good or bad...Anyone have any comments about NagMIN?

JKB