[TriLUG] reducing spamd child process pool

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Feb 10 11:17:16 EST 2006

Hi Folks,
   Suddenly today I got a call that some of our internal mysql-backed
web apps weren't functioning correctly.  The culprit turned out to be
the server running out of available RAM.

Thing is, this box has a gig of ram.  Up until today, I used to think
that was a lot..  But top tells me I have less than 100 megs free.  It
also will sort the process list by %mem footprint.  I see that spamd (at
2.3%, roughly 25megs) and httpd (at 1.0%, roughly 10megs) are the
biggest footprints, each with several child processes each chewing up
the aforementioned amounts of space.

So I figure for the short term, while I examine memory usage and cull
the number of things running on that server, I can reduce the server
child process pool for those two services.  For apache, it's easy, just
a few lines in httpd.conf.   But it doesn't seem to be so
straightforward to adjust how many child processes spamd keeps in its
pool.  How do I change that?

Cheers,
~Brian