[TriLUG] rsyncd.conf

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Feb 10 15:17:01 EST 2006

I recently installed a BackupPC system at $WORK, and it
seems to hum along nicely.  It backs up our PC's, and it's
got a nice web interface.

See http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Now I am thinking about installing it at home.  If I want
to back up the entire PC's drive, it works great, but I
am trying to be a little more selective about it.

If I want to back up:
 - the entire drive - works OK
 - a few top-level directories - works OK
 - just /home, /etc, and /var/log - does not get /var/log

A little background...

BackupPC will fetch files from the client PC's using one of
three mechanisms: (1) Samba (2) rsync/ssh (3) rsync/rsyncd.
I am using option #3.  On the client PC, I installed rsync
and set RSYNC_ENABLE=true in /etc/defaults/rsync.

I know that the problem has to do with my /etc/rsyncd.conf
file.  I would like to define one "module", but I'd like
that module to contain a list of directories to back up.

My /etc/rsyncd.conf file looks like this:

   # GLOBAL OPTIONS
   log file=/var/log/rsyncd
   pid file=/var/run/rsyncd.pid

   # the one module that the BackupPC server looks for
   [backuppc]
      comment = backuppc files
      path = /
      use chroot = no
      read only = no
      list = no
      uid = root
      exclude = /* /*/
      include = /home/ /root/ /etc/ /var/log/
      auth users = backuppc
      secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
      hosts allow = bpcserver
      <some options deleted>

I don't want to pull in all of /var just to get /var/log.
I don't want to define several modules: backuppc[1-9].
I don't want to make a detailed list of excludes from /var.
I just want to back up MY list of directories.

Anyone know the proper way to tell rsyncd to do that?

Alan

.