[TriLUG] rsyncd.conf

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Fri Feb 10 21:45:50 EST 2006

i use rsyncd from time to time, it's pretty slick and avoids the problem
you describe (there's no shell access or key exchange required).  i
missed the first part of this thread, but here's an example of one of my
"shares":

[company_xyz]
   path = /home/rsync/company_xyz
   secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
   auth users = company_xyz
   use chroot = yes
   list = no
   read only = no
   uid = root

note that it looks very much like a samba share, probably because the
same guy wrote it (http://samba.org/~tridge/).  client access is
chrooted, but it does run as root (needed to preserve file ownership, if
you don't care about that it can run as a normal user).

the rsyncd.secrets file contains the following line:

   company_xyz:some_password

on the remote host, i have a cron job that contains one or more lines
like the following:

   rsync -avz /data_files company_xyz at cerient.net::company_xyz \
   --numeric-ids --password-file=/root/rsync.passwd --delete

the only real weakness with this approach is security.  from the rsyncd
help page:

"The authentication protocol used in rsync is a 128 bit MD4 based
challenge response system. Although I believe that no one has ever
demonstrated a brute-force break of this sort of system you should
realize that this is not a "military strength" authentication system. It
should be good enough for most purposes but if you want really top
quality security then I recommend that you run rsync over ssh.

Also note that the rsync server protocol does not currently provide any
encryption of the data that is transferred over the link. Only
authentication is provided. Use ssh as the transport if you want
encryption."

hope this helps...jason