[TriLUG] rsyncd.conf

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Sat Feb 11 15:45:47 EST 2006

> as for your original question, i don't know why it fails to work (i've
> only used rsyncd in a push mode, not pull).  maybe the slash between
> var and log needs to be escaped?  or perhaps you could symlink /log to
> /var/log on the target machine and put /log in the rsyncd.conf include?

I think I finally figured it out [1], and it's not pretty.

I changed my rsyncd.conf to use "include from = /etc/backuppc.include"
instead of "include = file1 file2 file3".  Then I created a
"/etc/backuppc.include" file that looks like this:

# simple top-level includes (and subdirectories)
+ /root/
+ /etc/

# include /home/jtower/pr0n/ (and subdirectories)
# but not /home or /home/jtower
+ /home/
+ /home/jtower/
+ /home/jtower/pr0n/
+ /home/jtower/pr0n/**
- /home/*
- /home/*/
- /home/jtower/*
- /home/jtower/*/

# include /var/log/ (and subdirectories)
# but not /var
+ /var/log/**
+ /var/
- /var/*
- /var/*/

# do not get anything else
- /*
- /*/

Now that I've answered my original question, and it's left such a bad
taste in my mouth, I think I'll try the rsync/ssh approach that Rick
described.  I particularly like the fact that it encrypts the file
transfers, and that it's really easy to specify what to include in the
backup.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Alan

[1] After all, there was nothing better to do on a rainy Saturday.

.