[TriLUG] recording a phone call from within Mac OS X?

John Wheeler jwheeler at etherealfringe.com
Wed Feb 15 04:10:43 EST 2006

Audio Hijack and WireTap do not necessarily need to get the audio via
a microphone input.
All audio in OS X is routed through the CoreAudio Framework.

These programs simply latch onto the audio output of any CoreAudio
process.
They can capture the audio from any mac program.

All you would need is a simple telecom app like HoldOn (free)

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19321

and your mac plugged into the phone line when you dial your voicemail.
Use HoldOn to pick up the phone and pipe the audio to your mac
speakers (which goes through CoreAudio)

AudioHijack or WireTap can listen to the Audio from HoldOn and record
to a number of formats.
Audio Hijack has a very nice effects system which allows you to use
any AudioUnit plugin to effect the incoming stream. Some basic mixing
AudioUnits come with OS X.
This could be particularly handy for removing line spikes or other
noise. Of course that could be done after the fact as well.

So no hardware is needed for this trick. Audio Hijack will probably
work in demo mode long enough to get what you need.
If not, it is a mere $16 shareware fee.

John Wheeler
Web Applications Developer
Ethereal Fringe Designs