[TriLUG] raid cards

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:37:20 EST 2006

On 2/15/06, Wing D Lizard <wingedlizard at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I want to add a raid-1 to a server ( supermicro x5dal).  Since the
> motherboard doesn't support hw raid, I'm looking at pci sata
> cards.
>
> Intrex has a couple:
>
>    CON-SATAR - sil3112a chipset
>    CON-TX2300 - promice fastrack tx2300 ( SATA II??)
>
> has anybody tried either of these?  Any problems?
>
> Can you boot from a sata drive with these cards?
>
> Is there any reason to stay away from fc3/4?  CentOS?
>
> The server is a LAMP server, supporting an accounting app
> (ARIA), and a few odds and ends  ( phplive, etc).

Make sure you look at the status of Linux SATA support at

http://linux.yyz.us/sata/

I originally had a SiL SATA card and it sucked royally.  Crashes,
not working, general suckage.  Perhaps the drivers have gotten
better.  I switched to a Promise SATA card and haven't had any
problems since.  I'm using software RAID1.  Don't know about
booting since the system disk is just a generic IDE.  Good luck.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace