[TriLUG] raid cards

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Wed Feb 15 13:29:58 EST 2006

Brian Weaver wrote:

> My main concern is that if one of my 3ware RAID cards die, how am I
> suppose to get the data off the drives? I don't know how 3ware chose
> to write that information or maintain the array information. So I'm
> stuck with trying to find a new compatable card at what may be an
> outrageous price.

I totally agree with Weave here.  I've always said, if you are planning
on buying a hardware RAID card, buy two.  That's the only way you can
guarantee that you'll be able to get the data off should the controller
go south.  And yes, RAID cards do die.  Been there, done that, but we
happened to have an extra.

Software RAID all the way.

Get a SATA controller that is -very- well supported and has low CPU
utilization and the overhead of the software RAID won't be noticed.

Mike