[TriLUG] custom network intefaces during boot for Debian

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Feb 16 16:07:51 EST 2006

John F. Davis wrote:
> Hello
>
> Here is a script modification for /etc/init.d/networking in Debian so
> that your list of network interfaces can be reconfigured during boot.
> Why would you like to have a script like this?  Well, in my case,
> I have a laptop with a lan based eth0 and a wifi based eth1.  If
> I am not connected to a lan during boot, I have to wait for the
> network interface on eth0 to time out with its dhcp request.
> With this script, it displays the current network config and gives
> me a chance to modify it.

Seems a bit manual.  I have been using ifplugd and waproamd to manage my
wired and wireless connections, respectively.

When a cable is plugged into my wired ethernet port, ifplugd brings up
the interface.

waproamd watches your wireless connection for known essids.  When it
sees one that it knows it runs a script matching that essid.  If only
unknown essids are available it runs a default script.

Both work quite well and packages are available in the Debian and Ubuntu
repositories.  It is my understanding that waproamd is no longer being
maintained and has been replaced with wpa_supplicant.

Pat