[TriLUG] Re: TriLUG Asterisk Routing Project

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:50:16 EST 2006

On 2/20/06, Kevin Otte <nivex at nivex.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:11:04PM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> > Please elaborate!
>
> Well, it's just at the brainstorming phase right now, but I was considering
> some sort of Asterisk Gateway Interface (AGI) script that would perform a
> simple HTTP query to a central directory on the TriLUG server.  The script
> would receive a number, look up the number over the 'net, and receive a call
> URL back.

Cool.  So, it sounds like there are about 3 parts to this.  Please correct me
if I'm wrong, or if I've left anything out:

1. Central TriLUG directory.
    - Accessible on a trilug web server
    - Could potentially add this into the standard trilug member info?  (which
      brings up the point about it would be nice to have a member info
      system where the user could edit their own info, but that's
another topic...)

2. AGI script
    - Available for download on the trilug server
    - Installed by each Asterisk admin on their local asterisk server

3. Instructions on how to set everything up
    - Could potentially be rolled into #2...

How hard would #2 be?  I'm not that familiar with AGI scripts, but
I would imagine something like that would be rather simple, no?
It might even be generalizable so that other LUGS/Organizations/etc
could use it to.  Or, has someone already done this already? (Why
re-invent the wheel, after all).

How about #1?  Anyone done it already too?  What all do we need?
What format does the data need to come back in?

Very good ideas, Kevin!

Cheers,
Tanner

--