[TriLUG] Road Runner blocking ports?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 15:42:20 EST 2006

On 2/20/06, Mark Freeze <mfreeze at gmail.com> wrote:
> I made sure 20 and 21 were open but still no luck.  I'm going to check the
> passive switch as soon as I get home.

I believe the "passive switch" that was referred to was in the ftp client
itself.  Basically, the way a "normal FTP connection" works is like this:

client        -->ftp -->       server
            <-- ftp-data --

The client opens connections on port 20 and the server opens them back
to the client on port 21.  Passive mode turns around that second connection
so that the client makes both of them like this:

client        -->ftp -->       server
             -- ftp-data -->

This works better when the _client_ is behind a firewall and the
server can't open a connection back to it.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace