[TriLUG] Lunch Friday?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 10:00:52 EST 2006

On 2/23/06, Pat Regan <thehead at patshead.com> wrote:
> Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> > On 2/22/06, Pat Regan <thehead at patshead.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Shortly after I moved to Dallas, TX I asked a lot of questions about the
> >> different forms of y'all...  All the natives I talked to agreed with:
> >
> > Hahahaha!  Dallas? Southern?  Surely you jest.  Texan, yes, but
> > southern?  Doubtful...
> >

> Funny, where I come from the south is anything not north of the
> Mason-Dixon line :).

There's a difference between "The South" as a geographical entity
and "Southern" as a spoken dialect.  The two are most definitely
not one and the same.  Case in point: Florida.  Florida is definitely
in "The South" as a geographical entity but most certainly does not
speak "southern" as a dialect.  Same with Texas.

> > As I said before, "y'all" is NEVER plural.  They must have some
> > really funny ideas there in Dallas! :-P
> >

> So, you are saying you can't walk into a room an say "How y'all doin'?"
> to a small group of people? :)

Obviously I should proofread better when posting late at night.  Substitute
the word "always" for "never" in my above sentence. (Doh!)

> I don't know much about "tump."  I did, however, need to check with my
> friend Google to make sure I spelled "larapin" properly...  Google
> didn't make me think it had anything to do with Texas, however...
>
> My friend who told me about this word was originally from a small town
> near Texarkana.  When I asked one of my friends who grew up in Dallas
> about this word he explained to me that you'd likely only ever hear it
> in small backwater towns.  I would tend to agree, since I actually heard
> the word used in a western just the other week (I believe it was on
> Bonanza, but I can't be sure :p).

Texarkana, being fairly close to Arkansas, I would imagine has much more
of a hill country (read: hillbilly, but don't read too much in that since the
hillbillies of Arkansas/TX/Missouri are fairly different from the hillbillies of
TN) dialect which really doesn't correspond to "Southern".

> > Texas is first and foremost Texan, before southern and definitely before
> > american.  Any language research done there will not yield true southern
> > information.
> >

> Now that sounds like it was spoken by a Texan :).

While I identify myself as "Southern", all four of my siblings were born in
Texas and my parents and two of them now live in TX, so while I'm not
a native Texan I do know them some. :-)

> > Alabama (Sweet Home!), Missississippi, Georgia (except Atlanta),
> > Tennessee and South Carolina, sure, but beyond that they get some
> > funny ideas... :-P
> >

> Hey, I work with what I've got :).

As do we all. :-)

Cheers,