[TriLUG] Laptop installation question

Steven Klund detox at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 23 10:55:27 EST 2006

Chris,

Since you are destined to reload your PC, take the time to partition it so
windows only uses a portion of the total HD.

On my 40 gig HD, I have the Win (NTFS) partitioned at 25 gig, Linux as 13
gig, a FAT32 partition for sharing files between the two, and the remainder
used as a swap partition.
Having the FAT32 - share partition really helps.  I can put all my MS office
docs there and get them with AibWord or OpenOffice, as well as having the
capabilities of sharing many other files.

Again, since you have to dump your HD you may as well set it up this way.
Also,  when your Windows gets goobered up again, you can repair or reload
without losing any important data sinice it is now on another partition.
And repairing grub is a lot easier also.

Steve