[TriLUG] recovering from X crash

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Feb 26 08:45:39 EST 2006

This is a home machine and I can recover by rebooting, but
I'd like a better way.

I run all my big cronjobs on sat night (backup, disk
health...) and sometimes on sunday morning, my screen is
blank/black and not responsive to the keyboard/mouse. Coming
in from another machine, I find X isn't running and I see
page allocation errors in the logs. Presumaby the machine
has run out of memory and X was killed.

Is there a way to bring up the console login on the machine
again?

Thanks Joe