[TriLUG] recovering from X crash

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:47:05 EST 2006

On 2/26/06, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:

> I didn't try init 5 as I expected that this
> would attempt to bring up X on the remote machine (although
> I don;t know).

Not sure what you mean by the remote machine here, are you thinking of
the remote machine as the one you are sshing into, or the one you are
sshing from?

If you're sshing into the machine that you want to bring X back up on,
then init 5 (telinit 5) is going to bring that machine to runlevel 5,
which seems to be your goal here. The machine you are sshing from is
going to be unaffected as far as ITs runlevel goes, although changing
run levels might bring the ssh daemon down and then back up, so you
might lose the ssh session.
--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site