[TriLUG] HOWTO: Create PDFs using Samba but not CUPS

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 18:11:28 EST 2006

On 2/27/06, David McDowell <turnpike420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> woah, I changed %U to %u and now I get:  nobody-Feb27-164318.pdf for
> my filename.  I don't know if that is considered progress or not!  :p

%u is the username of the current service according to man smb.conf in
your case the print service is running as user nobody.

 %U  is the session username (the username that the client wanted, not
 necessarily the same as the one they got).

%U is silently ignored for guest users, i.e. those who don't
authenticate on connect.

I think that you have to set up proper mapping of windows accounts to
nix accounts to let the print server differentiate between users.  How
you do that, AD, LDAP, whatever is a variable.  I've never set that up
myself. Hopefully someone with more samba chops, or the samba
documentation will reveal the secrets.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site