[TriLUG] need a read-only linux

Magnus stinkfart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 21:49:40 EST 2006

It's  not Linux, but it's OSS.  Look into OpenBSD.  It's well supported on
Soekris boards, can have a very small footprint, and can easily do all kinds
of cool traffic shaping and firewalling that Linux guys can scarcely
imagine.

On 2/27/06, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> All:
>
> I'm about to deploy another wireless empire and this time I'd like to
> eliminate the standard PC I use as my squid host and ssh server in favor
> of
> a Soekris Net4801 running read-only linux on compact flash.  Basically, I
> only need this device to act as my ssh server and squid server.  Tools
> like
> nmap would be nice for remote troubleshooting, but they really aren't
> necessary.
>
> What fits the bill for an application like this?  I'm off to do some more
> google searches.
>
> Greg

"The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in
the same hands…may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
—James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 47