[TriLUG] recovering from X crash

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Feb 28 07:08:37 EST 2006

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Matthew Lavigne wrote:

> Another question is what video are you running?

regular XF86 (3.3.6/4.x.x? - it's afew years old) compiled
from source running in some svga mode on a PCI card.

> What you may need to do is a ps -ef |grep mingetty which
> will give you the PID/tty that each is running on.

this was the approach I was after.

> Kill one of the PID and see if the tty respawns.

I have `agetty` in my iniitab, I guess I should have just
killed them one by one to see what happened. I don't know
what I would have done if they hadn't come back.

> Additionally the problem may be that it is running in
> Frambuffer mode (if you have rhgb or something like that
> in the grub kernel line.

no nothing fancy like that.

Thanks Joe