[TriLUG] HOWTO: Create PDFs using Samba but not CUPS

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 10:15:25 EST 2006

Well, I did some playing and can't seem to break it..and I've tried.  This
machine was a domain controller back in the day, but I've since upgraded (or
downgraded depending on your POV) to a 2003 AD because we added our own
exchange server.  Some accounts still exist on the samba server, but many
new ones don't and they're still able to print just fine to the PDF
printer.

what does your smbusers file look like?  Here's mine:
# Unix_name = SMB_name1 SMB_name2 ...
root = administrator admin
nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

how about your smbpasswd file?  I have a strange entry for the "nobody"
acct:
nobody:99:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[DU
]:LCT-00000000:

If I'm reading that right, there's NO password for nobody and perhaps
everyone fails auth as nobody and therefore are forced to send their
username/password from win?(total guess, sort of reached up a deep dark
cavity and pulled that one out)

Anything there shedding light?

Steve