[TriLUG] Ubuntu 5.10 not so Breezy w/64MB RAM

Magnus stinkfart at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:09:43 EST 2006

Sure it's the ram?  And not the video card or drivers?

I've got an nVidia card that is slow as snot on a AMD 3000+ if you use the
open source drivers.  Download the proprietary drivers from nVidia and it
gets downright snappy.

On 2/28/06, John Wheeler <jwheeler at etherealfringe.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I have installed Ubuntu 5.10 onto an AMD Athalon 700Mhz box w/ 64MB RAM.
> I am impressed with it's ability to identify all of my hardware off
> the bat. Of course my issue is that the windows draw SO slow with my
> limited RAM.
>
> Are there some things I can do to optimize the Window Manager a
> little bit? (besides buying more ram)
> This needs to merely be a web kiosk box with the ability to print to
> a little inkjet.
>
> Any suggestions are very welcome.
>
> John

"The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in
the same hands…may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."
—James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 47