[TriLUG] microsoft ad

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sat Mar 4 16:28:22 EST 2006

Hmmm...so what you're saying is that as long as all you want is a drop in
place solution, Windows is cheaper.  That may or may not be the case, but
I think a good analysis is required to make that determination.  From a
quick off the top of my head thinking....I see the following:

Windows Pros:
-----
unpack, install plug in, off you go
gui admin interface for people who don't necessarily want to or need to
know how things work

Windows Cons:
-----
cost:  licensing, training, retraining, certifications, maintenance costs
(esp. if you sign up for Microsoft's advanced patching program)
vulnerability to virii, worms, etc.

Linux Pros:
-----
free (beer || speech)
can run on cheaper hardware
less vulnerable to worms, not (afaik) vulnerable to virii
the standard for reliable web and mail servers

Linux Cons:
-----
takes some knowledge to get up and running
does not have some of the fancy, slick things that Microsoft have (for
example, WSDLs for SOAP services)

other thoughts on the list?

--
William Sutton