[TriLUG] microsoft ad

Magnus stinkfart at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 09:02:18 EST 2006

On 3/4/06, Jim Ray <jim at neuse.net> wrote:

> i'm calling bs on those production rates unless you've got an unlimited
> budget and have super fast hardware.

I will back up those numbers that Linux desktops can be built in 10 minutes
using your average corporate hardware on a gigabit network infrastructure.
I've got the experience of pushing probably thousands of Linux servers and
desktops out using Kickstart, and would say that most servers on gigabit
networks take about 10 minutes, most desktops in about 15.

Base configuration of servers is done with cfengine.  Download the RPM to
the machine during installation, check the cfengine config out of cvs, and
let 'er rip.  cfegine will download entire config files that are common to
all your systems, and custom-build config files based on the role of the
particular system you're building.

Kickstart is your friend.  Right now, cfengine is a warm acquaintance for me
but we're working on the friendship thing.  ;-)