[TriLUG] Server Crash help

Brian Blater (BBList) bblist at ridetta.org
Mon Mar 6 10:30:41 EST 2006

I have a compaq proliant 3000 with 8 9gb scsi drives in it. It was running a copy of SLES 9 with Novell's Open Enterprise Server on it. I had configured it with the first disk being /boot and swap (ReiserFS) and then the last 7 disks were RAID 5. If I remember correctly it was something like /dev/md0.

Anyways, I was testing some upgrades with red carpet and the server crashed (this is a test box so the data on it is not critical.) It will not boot to the HDD. Howerver, if possible I would like to see about getting some of the data off the RAID volume.

I put in my Knoppix 4.0.2 disk and booted it up. I see the 8 drives (/mnt/sda1-sdh1). However, this is all new to me. I'm not a newby by any means, but I'm certainly not the GURU either. I figured this would be a very good dry run on getting access to a crashed box's data. So, is there any way to get into the RAID Volume (/dev/md0) where the data was? Anybody up to the challenge?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Brian