[TriLUG] VoIP experiment

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Tue Mar 7 23:16:26 EST 2006

By popular demand, we will be attempting the first ever VoIP conference call
broadcast of this month's TriLUG meeting.

It should be noted that this is EXPERIMENTAL.  This may not work.  Your
computer may burst into flames.  The sky may fall.  Void where prohibited.
Batteries not included.

Now that I have that out of the way, you're probably wondering how to
participate:

If you are already participating in TARP
(http://www.trilug.org/~kjotte/tarp/), dial 101.

If you wish to use your already existing Asterisk box, point any extension
you like to IAX2/guest at voip.cerient.net/40

If you have no idea what any of this means, you'll probably want to download
the latest prerelease of KIAX (http://kiax.sourceforge.net/).  When
configuring this softphone, use voip.cerient.net as the server, leave the
username and password blank, and (this is important) make sure "Do not
register" is checked.  Once configured, dial 40.

If you have any problems getting configured, feel free to contact me
directly.

This conference is set up so that only the meeting room audio is heard.
Participants dialing in will not be heard.

Again, this is the first run, so things may not go smoothly.  Special thanks
to Cerient Technologies for providing the Asterisk box for this endeavour.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5