[TriLUG] Best Linux Desktop and Desktop Apps?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 23:03:08 EST 2006

On 3/12/06, Cristobal Palmer <cristobalpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mandriva has been in "Desktop Linux business" since it was created.
> > Ubuntu just started.
>
> Before putting my two cents in, I have to respond to that.
>
> (1) In terms of desktop platforms, _Linux_ "just started." I don't
> think Mandriva really has a time or or experience advantage, given
> Ubuntu's strong Debian connection. What matters is the team and the
> community behind a distribution. I'm sure there are many good reasons
> to use Mandriva, but the fact that it has been around longer isn't one
> of them. Want to make that argument? Look at Slackware.

I must strongly disagree.  People have been prediciting
"the year of desktop linux" for at least 5-7 years now but the
truth is that "desktop linux" has been here for that long and
a big reason for that has been Mandrake.  Mandrake made
it their goal to put together an excellent "desktop" linux distribution
when Red Hat was officially saying they weren't going to target
the desktop.  If it wasn't for Mandrake's efforts (and others
too, before I get people protesting :-), there might not be
any "desktop linux" or at the very least it wouldn't be at the level
it is today.

Cheers,
Tanner
--