[TriLUG] Migrating IDE to SATA boot error

Craig Duncan craigduncan at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 14 12:59:09 EST 2006

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Craig Duncan wrote:
>
>> It should be there, we copied /boot so the kernel and initrd should
>> be identical.
>
> but is it there? Without it, the BIOS will read the first sector and
> start loading the kernel, but unless the kernel has the SATA PCI card
> driver, the kernel can't read the disk
>
> Joe

The short answer is I do not know, nor how to find out. I looked at a
similar machine with a SATA drive and did notice that the initrd file
was of a different size. I tried copying that but got the same error. I
am sure there is a simple way to fix this, but unfortunately I have run
out of time. I copied all my data over to another machine and will
reinstall on the old.

Thanks for the help.

Craig