[TriLUG] GPLv3 -- What do you think?

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 11:35:01 EST 2006

On 3/12/06, Barry Gaskins <barry.gaskins at gmail.com> wrote:
>    However, I do think that he has a lot of other reasons to not use it in
> linux.  Mostly because if any of linux goes to GPL version 3 then ALL of it
> must go there.  And since he did not write most of linux himself, he would
> need to get the permission from ALL of the contributers. Since some of

Um, the GPL itself in paragraph 9 allows the user (not the
contributors) to use any "later" version of the gpl, so getting the
contributors to agree is irrelevant.  Code authors restricting the
license to v2.0 is impossible.  That's my reading however, and the
standard disclaimers apply.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com