[TriLUG] GPLv3 -- What do you think?

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 13:42:48 EST 2006

On 3/15/06, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Only if you include paragraph 9 in the license you release your
> software under.  From what I understand, this is what Linus has
> done with his contributions to the kernel.  Other contributors may
> or may not have done the same, leading to a very interesting
> situation where parts of the kernel may be licensable under GPLv3
> and other parts may not be.

Therein is another legal quandary.  The GPL at
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php says that you are
allowed to copy and redistribute the GPL text verbatim, but no
modifications are allowed.  Therefore omitting paragraph nine would
not be allowed.  So much for freedom.  :)
--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com