[TriLUG] GPLv3 -- What do you think?

Nathan Conrad conrad at bungled.net
Thu Mar 16 13:02:03 EST 2006

I think that you missed the /COPYING file in the kernel source:

>   NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
> services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
> of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".
> Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
> Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the Linux
> kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.
>
> Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel
> is concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not
> v2.2 or v3.x or whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated.
>
>                        Linus Torvalds

To me, it seems quite clear that the ENTIRE Linux source is to be
distributed with the GPL v2 license. It isn't necessary for one to put
the statement in every source file, is it?

Of course, I believe that some old versions of the kernel did say 'v2
or later', so you could certainly fork the older versions with GPL
v3.

-Nathan Conrad