[TriLUG] How do you know when a RAID array is BROKE?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat Mar 18 12:10:19 EST 2006

Rick DeNatale wrote:
> Just how much performance penalty is there in SW raid?  My naive guess
> would be that 1) it's probably not an issue for raid-1, where the
> purpose is reduncancy, but might be more so for striped raid
> configurations where the purpose is to achieve parallelism, and 2) the
> SW raid implementation has probably gotten better over time such that
> those who decided years ago that it was a performance problem are
> cruising on an outdated notion.

The penalties really depend on where your bottlenecks are.  Software
RAID 1 uses twice as much bandwidth on the PCI bus as hardware RAID 1.
With software RAID the OS has to push the same data to two different
drives, with hardware RAID the controller takes care of that.

You would need a REALLY good hardware controller to beat the speed of
software RAID 5, although software RAID 5 will have more CPU overhead.
Hardware RAID cards don't tend to have a CPU that can compute the
checksums as fast as your server can.

The more disks your RAID 5 array has, the less the extra PCI overhead
matters.

RAID 0 shouldn't incur any measurable PCI or CPU overhead.  Hardware and
software RAID 0 should perform very comparably.

RAID 10 would have the same sort of overhead as RAID 1.  My brain
doesn't want to give me a good solution in this case...  If you want all
the redundancy you can get then you want each mirrored pair to have
their drives on separate controllers.  That means you are likely going
to the mirroring in software, which means you may as well do the whole
thing in software.

I don't usually mind using double the bandwidth in a RAID 1 array.  Like
you said, if you are using RAID 1 performance isn't your primary goal.
However, I when you are running RAID 10 that is a lot of wasted bandwidth...

Pat