[TriLUG] Kernel oops after upgrade in Debian

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Sun Mar 19 18:52:00 EST 2006

I'm not so sure about 'aptitude', but when using 'apt',
you should do 'apt-get update' to get a fresh list of
packages and then 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to upgrade
your box.

A simple 'apt-get upgrade' (instead of 'dist-upgrade')
will update each package that you currently have
installed, but it will not pull in any new dependencies
that may have appeared in the meantime.  This can
cause some mis-matches between libraries and binaries.

Your error messages did not ring any bells with me.
But I would try 'apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade'
to make sure that you have all of the dependent
packages that you need.

Alan

.